LGVSD Water Treatment Blog

October 29, 2012

Dear Class,

Please write about each of the four water treatment stations you visited this morning with the Las Gallinas Valley Sanitary District staff.  They were: 1) water treatment simulation with Rob, 2) microscope and microorganism drawings with Mary Jo, 3) watershed model with Gretchen, and 4) computer with water pollution and protection program with Jane.  Remember that in general, the more you write, the better your grade!  Show what you did and learned.

I will be sending your blogs to the LGVSD staff, so please express your appreciation to Mr. Cole (Rob) and his team, as well.

Yours,

Ms. Q

21 Responses to “LGVSD Water Treatment Blog”

1.   Horse [emma] on October 29, 2012 11:47 am

Hey Blogging peeps!

Today, Monday, we had four visitors visit our classroom for an hour or so. These people were from LGVSD. There were four stations about water treatment and pollution. One of them was looking at bugs that help the water stay clean, The second was how to clean water and what they put in it, the third was about the watershed and doing a model of what happens to the bad things, and last but not least, we had done a computer game called EcoMaster.

Thank you so much for coming Mr. Cole and staff!

From a cool peep,
    Horse[Emma]

Dear Emma,
    I’m glad you enjoyed the workshop today, and thanks for your appreciation. I also thank you for letting me know the name of the computer game you all were playing: Ecomaster. Look over the other kids’ blogs. Which ones were most successful at describing the stations and telling what the students learned?
    Yours,
    Ms. Q

2.   Tarek on October 29, 2012 11:52 am

Today some people came from the LGVSD water treatment. It was really fun. We got to look into a microscope and we also got to see chemicals in some water and then The person put a magnet that spun super fast in the water and when that was happening he put some chlorine in it and all the chemicals vanished and then it was just like swimming water. Also there was a big landscape and one of the people put a bunch of so called chemicals onto it and then when she sprayed water on it went into the ocean and all the animals died. I think the chemicals were just water with food coloring. We also went onto a computer game that said true or false and we got to answer it. It was really fun.
    I learned a lot from all of the stations and the LGVSD staff. I learned that those little drains on the side of the sidewalk are a one way trip to oceans, lakes, rivers, and creeks. Also from now on When my mom makes something like greasy chicken, I’ll tell her to scrape it with a clean-x and she can put that in the compost. I think that The LGVSD put some time in making the stations and I appreciate it.

-TD

Dear TD,

Good job writing a lot in class today, and I’m glad you enjoyed the stations! Good job remembering that storm drains lead directly to our waterways and that we shouldn’t put grease down our kitchen drains. I like your appreciation at the end.

You should have re-examined your work at home since it could be improved. You need to work on avoiding run on sentences, use specific names of people and things, and tell more clearly the purpose of each station.

Yours,
    Ms. Q

3.   Sophie on October 29, 2012 11:56 am

Hi bloggers!
    Today we did water treatment stations. at first we learned about how water gets cleaned before it goes into the ocean. They have to take out and add chemicals to the water. Then scrape FOG and other stuff to then the add bugs to eat the bad they cant get off. The second station we did was where she gave us work sheets to do about what chemicals can go into a storm drain or go to the water treatment plant. We also got to look ate germs and other stuff that is in the water. The third station we had a watershed diagram. That we would put chemicals that would hurt the animals in the water but the chemicals where not in the water so she made it rain and all the bad stuff fell in the water and the animals would die. The third station we played a game where we would look at a house and there would be stuff you don’t want in a storm drain. So we would click on them and it would ask a question. We had to say if it was true or false. So that is what we did today so bye. Sophie

Dear Sophie,
    Good job describing the stations! You needed to include what you learned at each of them. You really took it to heart when I said the class needed a lot more periods and capitals…you actually have too many since now some of your “sentences” are incomplete.
    Yours,
    Ms. Q

4.   Jack on October 29, 2012 11:56 am

Dear Mom and Dad,

Today the Las Gallinas Valley Sanitary District staffs came to teach us about watershed treatment. There were four stations, a water shed model station, a cleaning water station, a computer station, and a microscope station. My favorite station was the watershed model station. It was fun because you named something on the model that caused pollution then the lady would pour some colored water to mark the pollution. It was fun.

Hi, Jack.
    I’m glad you found the LGVSD workshop to be fun.
    Were you done with your blog? It doesn’t seem like it.
    Yours,
    Ms. Q

5.   Zac on October 29, 2012 4:50 pm

The water treatment was really cool. The First station I did was the water treatment simulation. I liked when he put a bunch of colors that turned purple then he put in this chemical that instantly turned clear. It was cool when he had a magnet at the bottom and he put the cup on this thing, and the water spun into a tornado. I learned that if you dump things in the storm drain it will not get treated.

The second station I did is the microscope and microorganism drawings. I really liked how we got to see little microscopic organisms. I never knew that there are three microscopic organisms called Flagellate, Rotifer, and Stalked Ciliate.

The third station I did was the watershed model. I liked how she sprayed all the bad stuff that flowed to the ocean. I learned that even though there is a lot of bad stuff out, the rain is so powerful that it can move the bad stuff all the way to the ocean.

Last but not least was the computer with water pollution and protection program. It was cool how we got to do a learning thing on bad stuff on the computer. I learned that toilets go to sewage treatment to get cleaned out.

Zac

Dear Zac,
    Good job using paragraphs to describe the four stations and including something you learned at each of them. By the way, toilets do not go to sewage treatment plants to get cleaned out. :-) The water flushed down them does!
    Yours,
    Ms. Q

6.   joe on October 29, 2012 5:05 pm

Dear peeps,

The LGVSD staff had very fun and awesome stations. They were: 1) The water treatment simulation with Rob was fun, interesting and cool. 2) Microscope and drawings with Mary Jo was not as fun as the work with Rob but I saw microorganisms. 3)The watershed model with Gretchen was funny because we argued about if the fertilizer was coffee grounds or not. and 4) computer with water pollution and protection program with Jane was hard to find all the polluting item.
    Thanks for reading this! :) :)

Hi, Joe.
    I’m glad you thought today’s stations were awesome. Now I know that you had more to say about the stations at school today than almost anyone else! You need to show lots more of your great body of knowledge in this sort of blog. You should have described each station and what the main things were that you learned.
    Yours,
    Ms. Q

7.   Lauren on October 29, 2012 5:07 pm

Dear Everyone,

Today we had an outstandingly fun workshop with the LGVSD, and I think I will tell you about it.

One station was the water treatment simulation with Rob. He used a tornado-maker to show us how you can clean water with chlorine and tiny microscopic “bugs.” In the end, the water is purified and can be returned our water faucets or the Bay.

Another station was with a microscope and microorganism drawings, taught by Mary Jo. I got to see interesting bugs with a microscope. So cool! Also I learned about Flagellate, Rotifer, and Stalked Ciliate.

Next, I did a watershed model with Gretchen. We flooded the model’s streets and drive ways with all the bad things people would use like car oil, then sprayed it with rain. All of the water went down to the bay or the storm drains.

Last but not least we did a computer game with water pollution and protection program with Jane. It was so fun, we found things that are bad for the water and the computer would give us a true or false question that we would answer.

Dear Lauren,
    Good job using paragraphs to describe the four stations and using specifics such as the names of the microorganisms, chlorine, and car oil. I bet you could think of even more specifics to include. Our goal is to explain things as clearly as we can for people – like our parents – who weren’t with us at the workshop.
    Yours,
    Ms. Q

8.   kelly on October 29, 2012 5:18 pm

Dear Bloggers,

Today we had some specialists come to our class. We did a station with this guy named Rob. It was fun because he had this tornado thing and when he turned it on the water was purple, but when he put in a special chemical, it turned clear. He also explained us how the LGVSD powers their plant – with methane!

At the watershed station, I learned what goes into the storm drain can pollute our watersheds. Also I got to color a bunch chemicals with Mary Jo, and I got to see the chemicals in a microscope it was cool.

Also we did this awesome watershed thing with Gretchen. It was cool because we got to see her put all these chemicals on the plastic land and it changed color. Also we got to clean it up and a cow fell over and we got to set it up to and the whale tipped over.

Last of all we got to go do this computer thing with someone and we learned about how not to pollute our Oceans and Rivers. We played a game that told us where to find the bad stuff that can hurt our Oceans and Creeks. Also we took a true or false quiz and we got them all right, yay, yay.

Go Giants :) They Won The World Series

Dear Kelly,
    Good job using paragraphs to describe the four stations. I’m impressed that you remembered that the LGVSD uses methane from our wastewater to power part of their plant. They also have a lot of solar collectors! By the way, with Mary Jo, you colored microorganisms that break down the waste in our water.
    Yours,
    Ms. Q

9.   Scott on October 29, 2012 5:21 pm

Dear Readers,
    Our class had an awesome time with some people from the L.G.V.S.D. The L.G.V.S.D. is place where people clean out water before it goes down to a creek, river, bay, ocean, and so on.
    There were four stations. At the first one I went to there was a mini quiz. while everyone was doing it the person took us to see little bugs through a microscope. Their legs kept spinning like crazy. There were three different species. One was called the stalked cilate, anther one was the rotifer, and the flagellate. We learned many things about how water is treated. Did you know that if water goes down the storm drain, it never gets clean? Well if you did, too bad. At another station, there was a cup of clean water and we learned when stuff goes into the water, if it dissolves, whatever color it is, it turns the water that color. At the third one, there was this computer game about what type of thing goes where. The last one I went to, we placed all these houses and factories and cows and stuff like that. Then we polluted all of the town.

I think I learned a lot when the L.G.V.S.D. came to our classroom. :) :) :)

Dear Scott,
    I’m so glad you had an awesome time and learned a lot today! Good job using the specific names of the microorganisms and I’m glad you remembered that water that goes down the storm drain is not cleaned before it reaches our creeks, bay, and ocean. Your writing could be improved if you used more specific vocabulary and told more clearly what you learned at each station.
    Yours,
    Ms. Q

10.   guy on October 29, 2012 6:19 pm

Dear Ms Q,

We did the water treatment simulation with Rob. There was cool thing that was like tornado the water purple and then withe did you know that this super small bugs can clean the water. We looked threw Microscope and microorganism there is this stick and they what it to get Harry to clean it. drawings with Mary Jo we did draw the line to where it go that was fun The watershed model with Gretchen she put differt dyes into model it told us what happened it was my favorite And last but not least computer with water we used some ones laptop to play fun game and we had to answer t or f.
    over all a great thing to do.

Dear Guy,
    I like your enthusiasm!
    Read your comments aloud and see if you can find ways to make your writing clearer. You need more clarifying words, capitals, and periods.
    Yours,
    Ms. Q

11.   Martha on October 29, 2012 6:48 pm

Dear Reader,
    Today some scientists from the Las Gallinas Valley Sanitary District came to our class to teach us about what they do. We spent one hour with them and learned a lot about what is good to put down the drain and what is not.

On the first station, which we did with a woman named Mary Joe, we got to look through a microscope and see all these interesting bugs that look like nothing I’ve ever seen. They are called the Stalked Ciliate, the Rotifer, and the Flagellate. I liked this station because we got to color and look at these amazing creatures.

At the second station, we polluted water and then purified it. There was a magnet that spun and the water would turn purple and the man named Rob would add another potion and the magnet would turn the water clear. I thought this station was fabulous because Rob was so funny and every time the magnet turned on, Milan, a boy in my class, would say “Where do you get that?! I want one!” We learned what to add to water to purify it.

At the third station, we played a computer game with a woman named Jane that taught us how to prevent pollution. In the game, there was a house and we had to click on the things that would pollute water, such as pesticide, gasoline and oil.

During are last station which we did with Gretchen, we were showed a relief map and squirted it with poisonous oils. Then we made it rain and could watch where the pollution went.

I learned that washing the car could pollute water and how to wash it safely by taking it to a carwash.

Thank you for listening and thank you to LGVSD for coming to our class,
    Martha

Dear Martha,
    I love the clarity of your thinking and writing. Thank you for all those specifics!
    Cheers!
    Ms. Q

12.   Addie on October 29, 2012 6:49 pm

Today we had the Las Gallinas Valley Sanitary District staff. We were put in to 4 groups and with 4 stations. I have to say it was really fun and I loved it. Here is more about our day.

1)The water treatment simulation with Rob was teaching us some things the float and sink in the proses. Some things they use to clean the water are the machine know as the Digestor. It digests the things you might put in water that goes down the sink or shower like soap, fat, grease, oil and, fog. Rob showed us how to clean the water after it goes through the sink.

2) with Mary Jo we used a microscope to see what kinds of organisms they use to clean the water. I say on of the Stalked Ciliate, but I might be wrong, anyway it was eating witch was amazing, and microorganism drawings to see what they looked like up close like a (small puppy). We got to chose the colors though.

3) We used watershed model with Gretchen to understand what happens to the planet and ocean when we use cars because they leak oil, fertilizer because when it goes to the ocean or bay the poop will kill some of the little fish and things they eat, and the factories because the things they use can be quite bad for wildlife such as different gases and oil. Now not all factories use the types of things.

4) Last we did a computer game with Jane. It showed what can’t go in the storm drain like different poisons like pesticides and oil. We each clicked on something that shouldn’t go in storm drains because they can leak in there. Da. We would chose if the statement was true or false. That was really all in that station but it was very fun.

Overall this was a great day and I hope I shared everything you need to know about today’s special spotlight.

From
    Addie

Dear Addie,

I like the way you use so many specifics about what happened at the science stations today. You obviously absorbed a lot of information!

Your 2) paragraph needs some work. I don’t understand all that you were trying to say.

Thanks,
    Ms. Q

PS Remember that a “witch” is a Halloween character. You wanted “which.”

13.   Ines Haslett on October 29, 2012 7:09 pm

Dear Bloggers,
    I had so much fun this afternoon! Ms.Q had people come from a water cleaning service and they taught us all about cleaning water.

They had 4 stations set up. One had this really cool tornado thing and Rob showed us how they clean the water. He made the water turn pink and then he made it turn clear again. And then he made it turn yellow and then he turned it clear again.

In station 2 we got to see the the bugs they use to kill bacteria in the water. Then we colored what we thought the bacteria looked like.

In station 3 we had this model of a water shed and we got to pollute the town and we made it rain and we saw how the water gets to the bay.

In station 4 we played a computer game and we clicked what we should not pour down the sink or pour into the water drain on the streets.

Overall, I think I learned a lot today and I know there is a lot more learning to come.

Your fellow blogger,
    Ines Haslett (:

Dear Ines,
    I’m so glad that you thought the workshop was fun and full of learning. Good job using paragraphs to describe each of the stations and to write an opening and a closing! The three microorganisms you colored – the stalked ciliate, the rotifer, and the flagellate – actually break down the wastes that come to the LGVSD. Your writing would be improved with more specifics such as the names of the microorganisms and the actual toxic substances in our homes that shouldn’t go down the drain.
    Yours,
    Ms. Q

14.   sofia on October 29, 2012 7:13 pm

Today it was so fun because the LGVSD staff came to our class and told us about the water treatment and how it gets clean and what happens to life if people do what is bad to life because it affects the ocean were these little creatures live. Plus it was really cool when we went to these groups and in my first group we were getting these fake oils and pollution oils and we put the oils in there spaces and and all the oils goes it to the ocean where fish, sharks, whales, and where shellfish live.Then in the second group we were playing this computer game were you are supposed to find cautious hazards. In the third group we looked at these little insects in this telescope and at this first bug we looked at was cool because when you look at it its mouth spins really fast and it was so cool.In the last group the fourth group this guy was mixing posions around in a bottle and talking about what they do to the water and they do stuff then they chlorine the water then they clean the water by putting this good chemical were it cleans the water then the chemical goes away.

sofia

Dear Sofia,
    I can feel your enthusiasm for this exciting, hands on science workshop! You also caught the main idea of the workshop in your topic sentence. Your writing would be much improved if you could avoid run on sentences. You need more commas, periods, and capitals. This year we will continue to work on writing good sentences.
    Yours,
    Ms. Q

15.   matthew on October 29, 2012 7:17 pm

Dear Parents,
    Today the Las Gallinas Valley Sanitary District staff came to our class and we did four stations about what we should not put down our drain. The stations were, 1) water treatment simulation with Rob 2) microscope and microorganism drawings with Mary Jo 3) watershed model with Gretchen and 4) computer with water pollution and protection program with Jane. I learned all about storm drains, wastewater treatment plants, and hazardous waste collection sites. I had no idea soap could go to a wastewater treatment plant. My favorite station was water treatment simulation with Rob, because we could pollute water. The names of microorganisms are Flagellate, Rotifer, and Stalked Ciliate. One Stalked Ciliate even wiggled!

Dear Matthew,
    Your writing is clear, you cover all four stations, and you have no misspelled words! I like the fact that you include the names of the three microorganisms that you colored. I think your blog could be improved if you thought more about what each station was designed to teach you.
    Yours,
    Ms. Q

16.   Milan on October 29, 2012 7:51 pm

Dear bloggers,

Our class did one of the best thing we are going to do this week, witch was a project with L.G.V.S.D today.

One thing we did was the magnet spinner with soup, ole and some other liquids. The other thing that we did today was the pollotion landscape, with the red liquid, blue liquid, gray liquid, green liquid, and orange. The other 2 station are, computer games the other station is about animals that you cant even see with your eye’s, you have to see it with a microscope.

The things that I found out were, that soap and ole had to go in to the wastewater treatment system.

Dear Milan,

I’m glad you thought the LGVSD workshop was a highlight of the week. Me, too! I love it every year.

You briefly described each station, but you didn’t tell something that you learned at each of them. I bet you could do that! Next blog I want you to get more writing down, OK?

A “witch” is a character you might see on Halloween. You wanted “which.” Plurals don’t have apostrophes. Therefore, you wanted “eyes” rather than “eye’s.”

Yours,
    Ms. Q

17.   Melia on October 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Dear Fellow Bloggers,

Each of the four water treatment stations with the Las Gallinas Valley Sanitary District staff were so fun! I wish we could do it again. The first fun station I did was the computer with water pollution and protection program with Jane and what we had to do was find objects that are bad for the environment and what I learned from that was how many things your house can affect the environment!

The second fun station I did was the watershed model with Gretchen and what we did was she poured all these chemicals that pollute water like pesticides, fertilizers, and other bad pollutions, and they would all end up going into the bay. What I learned from that station was what rain can do.

The third fun station I did was the water stimulation with Rob and we learned how we get drinking water and he poured in all these objects representing chlorine, soap, poo, pee, good bugs, and I think that’s all into this tall cup that stirs all the things around.

The last fun station I did was microscope and microorganism drawings with Mary Jo and what we did was we colored in pictures of organisms that help clean our water called the Flagellate, Rotifer, and the Stalked Ciliate then looked at them through a microscope, and we also did a worksheet where you match the objects that should go either in the Wastewater Treatment Plant, the Hazardous Waste Collection Site, or a Stormdrain. From that I learned what some organisms look like and what objects from your house go where.

“GAMBATTE!”

“GAMBARANAKUCHA!”

Love,
    Melia :) :) :) :)

Dear Melia,
    Good job describing each of the stations. I’m so glad you enjoyed the workshop! Your writing is quite clear, although I would break up some of the longer sentences. Since “each” is singular, we would say “Each of the stations WAS so fun.” I like how you end with the Gambatte cheer!
    Yours,
    Ms. Q

18.   Parker Fritts on October 29, 2012 8:37 pm

Dear People,

The four water tretment stations were a watershed map, a computer game, a coloring workshop with a micerscop, and last of all a place where we put polution in the water and then whent through the prosses of cleaning it.

Now I will tell what we learned in the first station we told her what poluts our waters, oil, factories, fertiliser, landery ditergent, and toxic things. then we sprayed water on the map, then all the bad stuff ran into the water. Oh ya by the way all of it runs into the ocean, so it just kills the marine life.

The second center we chose things that it said to do and then we had to answer questions true or false on the computer. There was this bird on the game that whenever you clicked on the shower it would open and the bird would quickly close it again.

In the third station we whent outside with our colored pencils. thay said it was where you got to look under a micriscope but it was just coloring. We had to color these pictures of microorgnisums that help clean our water. We each got to look under the microscop once,the rest was coloring.

In the forth and finaly one we had a jar of water, first we told him things that flot in the water then things that sink. then with all the bad stuff still in the water he poured the muck in another jar the hevy things got left behind. Then it aws just the things that floated. So for some we put clorien inthe water that mad it yellow. Then we put salt in the water that cleared it up all the way up. So in Real life it would be ready for the bay. Overall it was really fun.

Parker

Dear Parker,

I’m glad you thought the workshop was really fun!

Here are some highlights of your writing: 1) you wrote a lot, 2) you created meaningful paragraphs, 3) you covered all four stations.

Here are some things that would help your writing a lot: 1) use specific names for people rather than “he” and “she” and 2) tell more about what you learned, and 3) use a dictionary or ask an adult how to spell the words with red underlines.

Yours,
    Ms. Q

19.   Trevor on October 29, 2012 8:41 pm

Dear Friends,

Today we learned about the LGVSD. We got split into 4 groups, for 4 different activities. It was very fun. First, we got to play on Mr. Cole’s computer. It was awesome. Second, there was a landscape of a community that got polluted and we brainstormed ideas about how you can prevent that from happening. Third, we got to do some kind of experiment with microscopic bugs. We took chlorine and put it in the bad water. It was originally purple from the bad stuff, but when we put chlorine in it, it turned white. Then we put clear water in it and now the water is safe to drink. Last, we got to color, my favorite part.

Thank you to Mr. Cole and his team for coming today. Everything you did for us was terrific!

Gam,Trevor Ronald James

Dear Trevor Ronald James,
    I’m glad you thought today’s workshop was terrific. I like your appreciation at the end. Your sentence about the model watershed is the best because you tell the purpose of the station. I would have liked to read more about the computer station and what you colored that was so fun.
    Yours,
    Ms. Q

20.   Sophia on October 29, 2012 8:52 pm

Dear Fellow Bloggers,

Today we did stations about where water goes after it goes down the drain. there were four stations that we went to.

The first station I went to had a model of a watershed with a factory, a neighborhood, some farms and an ocean. We pointed out what places were polluting the water. The person at the station had different colored dye that she used for different types of pollution. She used coffee beans for fertilizer. When she sprayed water on it (rain) all the pollution went into the ocean.

The second station included a computer. We played a game where we had to find things that were polluting the water and then answer questions.

At the third station we had three pieces of paper. On the first page we matched things with different places for liquids to go. On the second page we colored in pictures of bugs that we saw in a microscope.

At the fourth station, the last station a man showed us the process they do to purify the water we flush down our toilets, the water that goes down our sink, and all the other places water goes down a drain from inside. They actully do this thing where they put it on this mixer thing and it mixes the water when they put different stuff in the water. It looks like a tornado when it’s spinning.

I think I learned a lot from this.

From,
    Sophia

Dear Sophia,
    Good job writing quite a bit and creating paragraphs in which to open, close, and describe the four stations! Your writing would be improved if 1) you used actual names of our guests, 2) you described what you did at each station and then what you learned at the station, and 3) you used specific words rather than words like “things,” “it,” and “this.”
    Yours,
    Ms. Q

21.   seb on October 30, 2012 10:10 am

Dear bloggers,
    Today we had some visitors from the waste-water treatment plant come over to our class today and we got into 4 groups of 4 and got sent in stations to learn about how to pollute water and clean it. The first one i went to was where you got to do his sheet that you match all the bad bacteria that goes to the waste-water treatment plant and the old bad batteries and other kinds that go to the dump of pollution things. We also got to color the kinds of bugs that eat the bacteria and it was really fun.Next we went over to a station that was where you pollute water and then treat it we discussed what floats on water and what sinks. The trash and kinds of soap that change the water color and then we put in the good stuff that was where you put the bad water into another tank and added all the good bugs and chemicals that made it safe to go into or accidently drink at the beach.At the next station we got to play a computer game about where you find the bad chemicals that pollute our waters and then it would ask questions if it were true or false that these chemicals could pollute a ton of water or kill thousands of fish and plants.At the last station we got to build a little town and got to put down the houses and tiny cars and bridges and then we got to see what happens when we do polluting kinds of things and so we got to make a polluted town and we saw where all the bad bacteria went and when it rained it all sank down into the ocean and at that group we figured out how bad the chemicals that we use can effect our oceans and creeks,plants and fish.

Dear Seb,
    Hi! Did you do this at recess?! You wrote a lot, and you described the stations well. If you want to improve the writing, think about how to split up run on sentences with some more periods and capitals. It would also help to organize your writing if you created a paragraph for each station.
    Yours,
    Ms. Q

Comments RSS